IT IS RECOMENDED TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE PASSPORT EXPIRATION DATE: IN SOME PERIODS OF THE YEAR (EX. SPRING, SUMMER, CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS) THE SEVERAL BOOKING REQUESTS MAY EXTEND THE WAITING TIME FOR THE FIRST AVAILABLE APPOINTMENT.
If the adult applicant has children under 18, a self-certification declaration must be signed at the appointment regarding the absence of measures that could prevent the issuance of the new passport (as per the provisions contained in article 20 of the Decree Law of 13 June 2023, n. 69).
For the issuance passports for minors (under 18), the consent of both parents is required (please see the following instruction).
Please ensure to read carefully the following instructions before booking an online appointment for the passport:
It is possible to book an appointment for Italian citizens who are residents in the jurisdiction of this Consulate General (States of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont) and registered with the Registry/ AIRE of this Consulate (with updated address) and who have updated their Vital Records status (marriage, civil union, births of children, possible divorce, etc.) (instructions here). For married women, the transcription of the marriage certificate allows the insert of husband’s last name in their passport.
The Italian citizens who are registered with AIRE in this Consular jurisdiction, can also contact the Honorary Consulate in Springfield to acquire all biometric information (photo, digital signature and fingerprints) at the email: email@example.com. In this case the passport will not be issued at the appointment but will be sent by mail.
Before booking a passport appointment, those who have moved to this consular jurisdiction from other jurisdictions or from Italy are requested to first register with the Registry/ AIRE of this Consulate.
An Italian citizen who is a resident in this Consular jurisdiction but has not registered with AIRE in this Consulate or who has not applied for registration, will not be accepted for any passport application or appointment.
For further information contact:
• The Registry Office to register the new address (in case of change of address in the consular jurisdiction of this Consulate General).
• The Vital Records Office to register in Italy possible changes in the Vital Records (marriage, civil union, births of children, possible divorce, etc.); we remind all Italian citizens that all variations/changes in Vital Records that occur during their stay abroad must be declared to the competent consular office; all Vital Records must be submitted to the Office in charge well in advance of the date of the passport appointment (the Vital Records Office processes transcription requests in chronological order of submittance).
The Registry Office has up to 30 days to process the registration request to AIRE (once all required documents are submitted).
• Those who are temporarily in the consular jurisdiction of this Consulate General (whether traveling through or for other reasons), are kindly requested to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your situation, before booking an appointment; in this case the issuance of a new document is submitted to the Police Headquarter authorization or the competent Consular Office according to the applicant’s place of residence.
This Consulate General reserves the right to cancel the appointments which have been booked without following the above instructions.
Italian citizens of legal age (over 18) resident in the Consular jurisdiction of Boston (MA, RI NH, VT, ME) are able to come to this Consulate General for the issuance of a Passport only after having scheduled an online reservation (click here). The appointment for minors has to be scheduled by a parent, adding the child’s name as companion and adding his name in the notes. Italian citizens are required to cancel in advance any appointments they are not able to attend and to communicate the cancellation at least one week before the appointment to email@example.com.
The day of the appointment, it will be necessary to bring to the Consulate the following:
• n.1 Colored passport picture in European format 35mm x 40mm (European size) or 1.5”x 1.5” (picture instructions);
• Money order or cashier check related to the payment of consular fee (click here).
• The old passport. (In addition, a valid ID if the old passport has expired).
• The VISA for USA or the United States Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) issued or renewed after August, 16, 1992. If the Green Card issuance date is prior to that date, a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Office (USCIS) declaration attesting that the applicant has not acquired the U.S. citizenship is required.
• In case of request of a first Italian passport, it will be mandatory to present a valid passport of their own country of origin. For those who were born in the United States of America, it will be mandatory to present a valid U.S. passport.
• Parents of minor children, compatriots, are hereby informed that as of June 14, 2023, it will no longer be necessary to submit the other parent’s consent for the purpose of issuing their identity document (passport and CIE), pursuant to Decree Law 69/2023. Specifically, the amended Article 3-bis of L. 1185/1967 indicates that if there is a concrete and present danger that, due to a relocation abroad, may evade the fulfillment of his or her obligations to the children, it will be possible for the other parent to apply for a restriction to the issuance of the document. The application may be presented to the competent judge at the ordinary court where the child has his or her habitual residence or, if the child is resident abroad, the court in whose district his or her AIRE registration municipality is located. For the purpose of issuing documents for minors, however, the requirement of signed consent from both parents or those exercising parental responsibility remains in effect.
Minor applicants must be physically present to the request of passport issuance
a) N. 1 colored passport picture in European format 35mm x 40mm (European size) or 1.5”x1.5” (photo instructions);
b) Money order or cashier check related to the payment of consular fee (click here).
c) The old passport. (In addition, a valid ID if the old passport has expired).
d) In case of request of a first Italian passport, it will be mandatory to present a valid passport of their own country of origin. For minors who were born in the United States of America, in case of request of issuance for a first Italian passport, it will be mandatory to present a valid U.S. passport.
In addition to the requirements stated in points A, B, C and D,both parents (and child/children) must be physically present, or the minor applicant must be accompanied by one parent, providing the letter of consent signed by the other parent (if Italian or EU citizen, attaching a copy of the valid ID; if he/she is a foreign citizen it is required a notarized signature by a Notary Public).
The issuance of a new passport is possible no earlier than 6 months from the expiring date of the former passport, except for urgent cases.
URGENCIES: in case of documented emergency, please send an email as soon as possible to the passport office firstname.lastname@example.org explaining the reasons of the urgency and attaching a copy of the documents which explain the emergency.
Below the most common cases:
• To come back to Italy or in the country of residence for study, work or health reasons;
• Passport theft or loss;
• Exhaustion of pages for visas or entry stamps;
• Renewal VISAS for USA.
In case of theft or loss it is necessary to immediately report it to the police station of the place where the theft or loss occurred.
Italian citizens registered with this Consular jurisdiction must:
• Contact this Consulate sending an email to email@example.com, anticipating by email the copy of the report of theft or loss;
• Bring the original report at the moment of the passport application;
• 1 colored passport picture in European format 35mm x 40mm (European size) or 1.5”x1.5” (photo instruction).
• Money order or cashier check related to the payment of the consular fee (click here).
• In case of minors, the consent of both parents is required see link at point 6; in case the applicant has minor children (see link at point 5).
Italian citizens travelling through for tourism or business who suffered a theft or their documents loss, may receive a travel document (Emergency Travel Document) valid only for the return to Italy or the State of permanent residence, and shall:
• Contact this Consulate sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, anticipating by email a copy of the report of theft or loss;
• Bring the original report at the moment of the passport application;
• 1 colored passport picture in European format 35mm x 40mm (European size) or 1.5”x1.5”;
• Payment of the document cost until December, 31st 2023 is $1,70.
Duration of passport – validity varies according to the holder’s age:
– For minors from 0 to 3 years old (3 years validity)
– For minors from 3 to 18 years old (5 years validity)
– For people of legal age – over 18 years old (10 years validity).
Informations and forms: