Questo sito utilizza cookie tecnici, analytics e di terze parti.
Proseguendo nella navigazione accetti l'utilizzo dei cookie.

Preferenze cookies

Tourist and Transit Visa

IMPORTANT: The Consulate General of Italy in Boston provides visas ONLY to permanent residents of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. 

Schengen Tourist and Transit Visa Requirements – stays up to 90 days

ALL APPOINTMENTS MUST BE SCHEDULED no later than 15 days prior and not earlier than 6 months of the scheduled date of departure.

Visa fees click here


Applicants MUST provide:

  • 1. Schengen Visa application form duly filled in and signed.
  • 2. One recent passport-style photo (professionally taken, full front and white background);
  • 3. Copy of main page of passport or travel document valid three months over the planned stay in Italy. Passports must have at least two empty ‘visa’ pages.
    • For non-US citizens: Alien Registration Card or a valid USCIS visa. Letter from US government i.e. Advanced Parole, IAP66, I20, I797 and copies; Please bring a photocopy along with the original.
    • Proof of residence such as State driving license, State ID, copy of lease or last month utility bill; Please bring a photocopy along with the original.
    • Copy of all Schengen visas issued in the past 3 years.
  • 4. Round trip flight from the U.S to Italy and departure from Schengen area; Print before coming to the appointment. (IMPORTANT: if you are applying for a multiple entry visa you must include future flight/hotel arrangements).
  • 5. Proof of accommodation in Italy: Hotel/Airbnb bookings complete of address and applicant name. (Print before coming to the appointment.)
  • 6. Proof of economic means of support: latest personal bank statement from a US bankPrint before coming to the appointment
  • 7. Documentation of socio-professional standing (Print before coming to the appointment):
    • Employed applicants: should provide current employment letter from your employer on letter head, which must include employment start datejob title, annual salary and vacation period. You must include your latest pay stub;
    • Self-employed applicants: should provide business bank statements (last 3 months), copies of business income taxes, certificates of incorporation;
    • Retired applicants: Copy of your retirement compensation from social security;
    • Students: official school letter stating full time enrollment.
    • Unemployed applicants :
      • dependent spouses, children or parents should provide affiant employment information i.e. employment letter, pay stubs and joint income tax return, please provide original (plus one copy) of marriage/birth certificates – in all cases the person financially responsible must fill out an affidavit of support in behalf of the applicant (to be notarized by a public notary). If the certificates are issued by a foreign authority other than the U.S., they will need to be legalized by the Italian Consular Office of the issuing Country;
  • 8. Proof of medical insurance covering the entire period of stay in Italy to be issued by an insurance company based in the US or European Union – Insurance policies issued by other countries will not be accepted. Print before coming to the appointment. The letter from your insurance company must state that you will be covered for any hospitalization, emergency/medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains for at least 30,000 Euro during your stay in the Schengen area.  Insurances that offer only reimbursements will NOT be accepted. 


PLEASE NOTE: Citizens of Pakistan and Afghanistan need to provide full names of mother and father and it must result from a birth certificate or Consular declaration.

For minors:

– Original birth certificate (and one copy). Please note that all foreign documents must be translated into English and the legalized by the Italian Consular Authority in the Country that issued the certificate;

– A letter from both parents granting permission to travel and assuming financial responsibility for -the entire trip. The authorization to travel must be signed by both parents and needs to be notarized by a U.S: notary public or if the parents leave abroad by the Italian Consulate of their Country of residence. At least one parent must be present at the Visa Office;

– Assumption of responsibility of an adult during the minor’s trip to Italy duly notarized by a US or Italian notary public.


Consular officers have full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does not guarantee the issuance of any particular visa. All documentation submitted to the visa office by the applicant will be kept in our files and the visa office will not issue any copy of it. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide copies of all original paperwork that he/she wishes to keep.