This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Atto notorio for US citizens wishing to marry in italy


Atto notorio for US citizens wishing to marry in italy

To book an appointment write to 

U.S. citizens wishing to be married in Italy must appear before the Civil Registrar of the City Hall (“Comune”) where the marriage is to take place, bring two witnesses, and make a declaration of their intention to marry. Please, contact as soon as possible the chosen City Hall office for more detailed information and arrangements.

For religious wedding, please contact directly the marriage officiant in order to obtain specific information on the procedure.

The couple must also present the following documents:

  • A valid U.S. passport;
  • A certified copy of the birth certificate in "long form", which includes the names of both parents and legalized with an "Apostille" affixed by the Secretary of State of the State where the birth took place. The birth certificate must be accurately translated into Italian and must have an apostille as well.
  •  If applicable, a final decree of divorce and/or death certificate of the previous spouse, legalized with the Apostille issued by the Secretary of State of the State where the event took place. The death certificate must be accurately translated into Italian. The divorce decree must also be professionally translated into Italian, certified with a "Certificate of Accuracy" and have an Apostille affixed by the Secretary of State of the State where the translation was certified.
  • An affidavit ("Atto Notorio"), sworn to by four witnesses, who must be over 18 and unrelated to either of the two parties or to each other. The sworn witnesses must personally appear, with a valid ID (Passport or driver's license), before the Italian Consular Officer. The affidavit will state that the witnesses swear under the penalty of perjury that they personally know the U.S. citizens, and that they personally know that the U.S. citizens have never been married or that are now divorced or widowed, that to the best of their knowledge, the U.S. citizens are free to marry in accordance with the local laws, and that there are no objections for the U.S. citizens to be married in Italy. On the Atto Notorio, the names of the US citizens who are getting married in Italy, must match the ones indicated on their birth certificate.

  • In order to request an Atto Notorio, book an appointment online and send the application form by email, duly filled in, to the Notary Office at attendees must have a valid ID for identification (Passport or driver's license); 
  • A Declaration, sworn to by the U.S. citizens who intend to marry in Italy before an American Consular officer in Italy, stating that according to the United States laws there is no obstacle to his/her marriage. If the American citizen is under legal age, a sworn statement of consent of the marriage by the parents or legal guardian is needed. Please call the U.S. Consulate in Italy with the phone numbers provided below to arrange an appointment. All attendees will need to present a valid ID for identification (Passport).
  • We underline that all translations of the above certificates (birth, death or divorce) must also have an apostille.


U.S. Embassy Rome


Tel. (011) (39) 06.46741

U.S. Consulate General Milan


Tel. (011) (39) 02.290351

U.S. Consulate General Florence


Tel. (011) (39) 055.266.951

U.S. Consulate General Naples


Tel. (011) (39) 081.583.8111

U.S. Consular Agency Genoa

Tel, (011) (39) 010.584.492

U.S. Consular Agency Palermo

Tel. (011) (39) 091.305857

U.S. Consular Agency Venice

Tel. (011) (39) 041.541.5944


After the declaration, banns must be posted at the local City Hall for eight consecutive days and four more days are necessary before the marriage occurs. However, banns are usually waived by the Vital Statistic Registrar (“Ufficiale dello Stato Civile”) if neither party to the marriage is an Italian nor is residing in Italy. Please confirm with the U.S. Consulate in Italy or with the City Hall (“Comune”) to see if this is applicable to you. On the fourth day following the eight days on which the banns are posted, the couple may be married, in a civil ceremony performed by the Civil Registrar, or in a religious ceremony performed by a clergyman.

Please note:
THE CLERGYMAN MUST REGISTER THE MARRIAGE with the “Ufficiale dello Stato Civile” to validate it.

It is suggested, before leaving Italy, that you request a copy of your marriage certificate from the City Hall and also have this legalized with an Apostille at the local Prefettura.