Questo sito usa cookie per fornirti un'esperienza migliore. Proseguendo la navigazione accetti l'utilizzo dei cookie da parte nostra OK

Tourist and Transit Visa


Tourist and Transit Visa

IMPORTANT: The Consulate General of Italy in Boston provides visas ONLY to permanent residents of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. 

Schengen Tourist And Transit Visa Requirements - stays up to 90 days

ALL APPOINTMENTS MUST BE SCHEDULED no later than 15 days prior the scheduled date of departure.

Visa fees click here

Applicants MUST provide:

  • 1. Schengen Visa application form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate. 

  • 2. Recent passport-style photo (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm or 1''3/8 x 1''3/4, full front and white background);

  • 3. Passport (and copy of relevant pages) or travel document valid three months over the planned stay in Italy. Passports issued more than 10 years before the dates of travel cannot be accepted. Passports must have at least two empty ‘visa’ pages.

    • For non US citizens: Alien Registration Card or a valid US INS visa and letter from US government letters i.e. Advanced Parole, IAP66, I20 and copies, I797 (any visa or permit with the exception of B1-B2) with a validity of at least three months beyond the intended departure from the Schengen Area; Please bring a photocopy along with the original.

    • Proof of residence such as State driving license, State ID, State Income tax, copy of lease or last month utility bill; Please  bring a photocopy along with the original.

    • Copy of all Schengen visas issued in the past 5 years.

  • 4. Round trip flight reservations from the U.S to the Schengen Area and departure from Schengen area; Print before coming to the appointment. (IMPORTANT: if you are applying for a multiple entry visa you must include future flight/hotel arrangments).

  • 5. Proof of available lodging in Italy: tourist vouchers, hotel bookings with applicant name. (Print before coming to the appointment.)

  • 6. Proof of economic means of support (as per Ministry of Interior Directive 1.3.2000): Most recent bank statement from a US bank; Print before coming to the appointment

  • 7. Documentation of socio-professional standing (Print before coming to the appointment):

a. Employed applicants: should provide current employment letter from your employer on letter head, which must include employment start date, job title, annual salary and vacation period. You must include your latest pay stub;

b. Self-employed applicants: should provide business bank statements (last 3 months), copies of business income taxes, certificates of incorporation;

c. Retired applicants: Copy of your retirement compensation from social security;

d. Students: official school letter stating full time enrollment. 

e. Unemployed applicants :

dependent spouses or parents should provide spouse’s/child’s employment information i.e. employment letter, pay stubs and joint income tax return or, in case you do not have a joint income tax, please provide original (plus one copy) of marriage/birth certificates - in all cases the person financially responsible must fill out an affidavit of support in behalf of the applicant (to be notarized). If the certificates are issued by a foreign authority other than the U.S., they will need to be legalized by the Italian Consular Office of the issuing Country; 

Dependent children should provide parents’ financial information (last three months bank statements, last 3 pay stubs and income tax return; in case the name of the child is not included in the parents’ income tax, please provide original (plus one copy) of the child’s birth certificate. If the certificates are issued by a foreign authority other than the U.S., they will need to be legalized by the Italian Consular Office of the issuing Country;

  • 8. Proof of medical insurance covering the entire period of stay in Italy to be issued by an insurance company based in the US or European Union - Insurance policies issued by other countries will not be accepted. Print before coming to the appointment. The letter from your insurance company must state that you will be covered for any medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains for at least 30,000 Euro during your stay in the Schengen area.  Insurances that offer only reimbursements will NOT be accepted. 


PLEASE NOTE: For Citizens of Pakistan and Afghanistan: Citizens of Pakistan and Afghanistan need to provide full names of mother and father and it must result from a birth certificate or Consular declaration.

For minors:

- Original birth certificate (and one copy). Please note that all foreign documents must be translated into English and the legalized by the Italian Consular Authority in the Country that issued the certificate;

- A letter from both parents granting permission to travel and assuming financial responsibility for -the entire trip. The authorization to travel must be signed by both parents and needs to be notarized by a U.S: notary public or if the parents leave abroad by the Italian Consulate of their Country of residence. At least one parent must be present at the Visa Office;

- Assumption of responsibility of an adult during the minor’s trip to Italy duly notarized by a US or Italian notary public.

Please note that your application will be rejected if you are missing the following documents:

  • Flight reservations
  • Hotel reservation with applicant's name

Consular officers have full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does not guarantee the issuance of any particular visa. All documentation submitted to the visa office by the applicant will be kept in our files and the visa office will not issue any copy of it. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide copies of all original paperwork that he/she wishes to keep.