This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Italian Driver Licenses


Italian Driver Licenses

For general information on driving and on driver licenses abroad, consult the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation here.

The Consulate General of Italy in Boston does not issue Italian driver licenses, but may issue renewals in accordance with Circular no. 107/1997 of the Ministry of Transport, which allows for the diplomatic/consular authority abroad to confirm the validity of the license.

Italian citizens residing abroad and registered with the AIRE in our consular district, must:

  • request a medical certificate that verifies the legal psycho-physical requirements (Ottavio Nardone, 358 Hanover Street, Boston). The costs related to the certificate are the sole responsibility of the applicant;
  • present the medical certificate, expired driver license (not more than three years) and two recent passport photos to the Consular Office.

Once residence is reestablished in Italy, the driver license must be converted by the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transportation, Office of Transportation. For more information please contact or call 617 722 9225

Driving in the United States

Please consult the Ufficio Centrale del Dipartimento per i Trasporti, la Navigazione ed i Sistemi informativi e statistici's website: click here (in Italian).