This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Tourist and Transit Visa


Tourist and Transit Visa

Schengen Tourist And Transit Visa Requirements - stays up to 90 days - ALL APPOINTMENTS MUST BE SCHEDULED no earlier than 6 months and no later than 15 days prior the scheduled date of departure.

All documents must be presented in original and photocopy. 


All payments MUST BE made by money order.

Applicants should also provide:

1. Schengen Visa application form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate along with this check list; 

2. Recent passport-style photo (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm or 1''3/8 x 1''3/4, full front and white background);

3. Passport (and copy of relevant pages) or travel document valid three months over the planned stay in Italy. Passports issued more than 10 years before the dates of travel cannot be accepted. Passports must have at least two empty ‘visa’ pages.
For non US citizens: Alien Registration Card or a valid US INS visa and letter from US government letters i.e. Advanced Parole, IAP66, I20 and copies, I797 (any visa or permit with the exception of B1-B2) with a validity of at least three months beyond the intended departure from the Schengen Area;
Moreover for non-US citizens proof of residence such as State driving license, State ID, State Income tax, copy of lease or last three months utility bills;

4. Round trip flight reservations from the U.S to the Schengen Area and departure from Schengen area;

5. Proof of available lodging in Italy: tourist vouchers, hotel bookings with applicant name, offer of hospitality must be sent directly from Italy to the applicant. In case the applicant will be staying with friends/family, an original letter of invitation is required along with a copy of the host's ID ("Permit of stay" for non-European Union citizens);

6. Proof of economic means of support (as per Ministry of Interior Directive 1.3.2000): last three months bank statements from a US bank;

7. Documentation of socio-professional standing:

a. Employed applicants: should provide recent letter of references from your employer, which must include employment start date, job title, annual salary and vacation period. You must include your last three pay stubs;

b. Self-employed applicants: should provide business bank statements (last 3 months), copies of business income taxes, certificates of incorporation;

c. Retired applicants: Copy of your retirement compensation from social security;

d. Students: official school letter stating full time enrollment. 

e. Unemployed applicants :

dependent spouses or parents should provide spouse’s/child’s employment information i.e. employment letter, pay stubs and joint income tax return or, in case you do not have a joint income tax, please provide original (plus one copy) of marriage/birth certificates. If the certificates are issued by a foreign authority other than the U.S., they will need to be legalized by the Italian Consular Office of the issuing Country;

dependent children should provide parents’ financial information (last three months bank statements, last 3 pay stubs and income tax return; in case the name of the child is not included in the parents’ income tax, please provide original (plus one copy) of the child’s birth certificate. If the certificates are issued by a foreign authority other than the U.S., they will need to be legalized by the Italian Consular Office of the issuing Country;

8. Proof of medical insurance covering the entire period of stay in Italy.

US health insurances are accepted only with letter from the insurance provider confirming overseas coverage. The letter from your insurance company must state that you will be covered for any medical expenses, hospitalization and repatriation for at least 30,000 euro during your stay in the Schengen area. If your current insurance company does not provide such a coverage, you have to find an international insurance. Insurances that offer only reimbursements will NOT be accepted. INSURANCE MUST START THE FIRST OF ARRIVAL AND MUST BE VALID 15 DAYS AFTER THE RETURN DATE.

For Citizens of Pakistan and Afghanistan: Citizens of Pakistan and Afghanistan need to provide full names of mother and father and it must result from a birth certificate or Consular declaration.

For minors:

For those between the ages of 14-18:

- Original birth certificate (and one copy). Please note that all foreign documents must be translated into English and the legalized by the Italian Consular Authority in the Country that issued the certificate;

- A letter from both parents granting permission to travel and assuming financial responsibility for -the entire trip. The authorization to travel must be signed by both parents and needs to be notarized by a U.S: notary public or if the parents leave abroad by the Italian Consulate of their Country of residence. At least one parent must be present at the Visa Office;

- Assumption of responsibility of an adult during the minor’s trip to Italy duly notarized by a US or Italian notary public.

Please note that your application will be rejected if you are missing the following documents:

- Flight reservations

- Hotel reservation

Consular officers have full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does not guarantee the issuance of any particular visa. All documentation submitted to the visa office by the applicant will be kept in our files and the visa office will not issue any copy of it. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide copies of all original paperwork that he/she wishes to keep.