This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Student - Study Abroad


Student - Study Abroad

Students participating in study abroad programs -  Long stay study Visas requires a fee - Study Visa (more than 90 days) 

Please note that you are required to provide a separate set of photocopies for documentation in points 5 thru 9 - appointments should be booked in advance but not earlier than 90 days from start of program in Italy. 

1. Long term visa application form (National D) for stays over 90 days.

2. One recent passport size picture (1”3/8 x 1”3/4, full front view, white background).

3. Passport (valid at least 90 days beyond the expiration date of the visa) and photocopy of the main page.

4. Photocopy of student’s ID and driver’s license (or state ID).

5. Letter filled out from the University in Italy (not simply filled out by the American Institution but on their own letterhead) directed to the Visa Office of the Italian Consulate in Boston, confirming the enrolment of the student, program dates, duration, weekly hours of attendance (minimum 20 hours a week) and specifying the address of the student’s accommodation.

6. Letter from the University in United States, addressed to the Visa Office of the Italian Consulate in Boston, specifying that the student is officially enrolled with said University and confirming his/her enrollment in the University Study Abroad Program in Italy. The letter should also indicate the address of the University in Italy, program dates and duration.

7. Personal bank letter or bank statement on its official letterhead, indicating the total amount of funds in their personal account. Please note that the minimum amount of funds required to study in Italy is approx. $1000/month of stay to cover basic expenses in Italy and eventual repatriation costs.

8. Students who have been granted a scholarship/financial aid are required to provide a letter from the University stating the amount and the date of disbursement.

9. Affidavit of medical insurance for entire duration of program (Also including evacuation and repatriation) or proof of international health coverage.

10. Money Order duly filled out and addressed to Consulate General of Italy in Boston.

11. Round trip flight reservations from the U.S to the Schengen Area and departure from Schengen area;

12. Affidavit of Support. If the applicant doesn’t have own funds because supported by the parents, one or both parents must submit an affidavit of support with the bank statement (see Proof of financial means). The Affidavit must notarized by a Notary Public;


Visa Office has full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what particular visa.